Monday, March 7, 2011

A diary of a day in LA


A Diary of a day in L.A.

By Lauren Taflinger


Once again Dies Mulieres rolled around and I was looking forward to a field trip- I mean who wasn’t? Getting off campus, no classes, hanging out with my friends; it was going to be a good day. However, I wasn’t feeling so perky once I heard I’d be forced into trucking into Los Angeles, a location I’ve visited countless times not only during my lifetime, but throughout my four years at Webb. Nothing new, I’d rather stay home.

But the sun rose on February 28, so I grabbed my book, my iPod, my best friend and sat on the bus as I prepared for the long boring day ahead of me. Staring out the window, mini snap shots of the journey to the city zooming pass me, I sulked.

We arrive and I’m thrilled-not really, but at least I’m off the bus. One of the first places we search is the Walt Disney Concert Hall. I’d always seen the outside of it, heard of it, but didn’t really see the point of actually going inside of it. I get my neon orange circular sticker allowing me access into the actual theatre and make my way up the stairs. So far I’m not too impressed. Doesn’t look like anything I haven’t seen before.

Finally, other advisory groups and I step in, and I have to say, I’m actually quite amazed. The wooden organ gracefully immerges from the wall and there are rolling sections of the room, like waves. It’s peaceful and serene, and the multicolored cushion seat I’m sitting in makes me wish I’d never have to leave. I’m busy taking pictures clumsily with my phone and I overhear that this place can hold over 2000 people, it certainly doesn’t look it. But it’s Disney, so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised with what magic they can do.

A few minutes of silence tick by and finally it’s time to depart, relenting I move on to our next location after passing through the gift store strategically filled with nifty trinkets.
The Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) seems to be our next stop. I’m feeling more enthusiastic, and I like art- seems promising. Plus they have this cool lemonade place, nice.
I stride down the steps, show the lady my ticket and begin my art review. Through the first exhibit, I’m intrigued by many of the larger paintings, rich in textures and vibrant colors. Many of my classmates fleet through, but I take my time, even jotting down a few of the names of some artists I like. Next I step into a dark room, filled with noise and videos projected on every wall- it’s a video montage. It’s different, and I’m instantly intrigued, trying to figure out its modern meaning and all that.

As I continue throughout remaining exhibits, I really start to see the shift to what one might consider modern art, with head turning sculptures, statues and photo collages. Not wanting to leave, with seconds to spare, I rejoin the group to continue our tour.

The main final stop of the tour was an international market place. My group and I had stopped by for a pizza, or should I say two, at California Pizza Kitchen, so I wasn’t too hungry, but the sight alone was a new experience in itself. Seeing, and smelling fresh authentic foods in open shops one after the other, after the other even started to make me hungry again.

As I stepped back onto the bus, tired, full and satisfied, I didn’t need the company of my book or my iPod because all I needed were the memories of the day, fueled by my excitement, to discuss with my best friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment