Friday, March 2, 2012

Home for the Homeless: part one


   As part of our capstone project for the School for Ethics and Global Leadership in Washington, D.C., a semester school I attended last year, each student was asked to set up a social venture project. We could set up any club or organization that would help the greater community. Because the Club for Christ takes monthly trips to Pomona Promise, a local church that feeds the homeless, I figured I could use the connections I’ve already made. As we prepared to have our projects presented to the partnering Ashoka (a global citizen sector), I began to think about why I picked Pomona Promise to be part of my social venture project.
   As I thought of our trips to Pomona Promise, I knew that handing out food was not enough. Every time my fellow peers and I take a trip there, we usually sit down to talk to the people we meet. I suddenly realized that it’s the communicative experience that makes the trip precious. People with no jobs, no homes, no family will open up and tell us about their experiences – they come from all walks of life.
   I came to realize that this isn’t about “us” helping “them.” We have learned so much from the homeless. They have taught us lessons learned in the past, hardships they have endured, and the perseverance to keep going, when shelter is something they can’t afford.
  We have gained so much from volunteering at Pomona Promise. It’s not about staying in the kitchen to prepare the food, rather, it’s talking to the people who have experienced much more than most of us will ever know. This social venture is dedicated to blogging the stories of the many men and women we have met, starting with the weekly pastor of Pomona Promise himself, Craig Chisolm. Visit the blog dedicated to my project: http://home4thehomeless.blogspot.com/

- By Yiwa Lau 

No comments:

Post a Comment