Thursday, January 27, 2011

teacher spotlight-Mr. Bartlett

Teacher Spotlight- Mr. Peter Spaulding Bartlett

For the past two days, just in order to interview Mr. Bartlett, I tried stalking him. I visited his office 3-4 times a day, but he was never in his office. I saw him rushing to the dining hall to grab lunch or chatting with different students. But, when I ran into his office he was never there.
Mr. Bartlett is probably one of the busiest people on campus. Most people just recognize him as the “academic dean”, but Mr. Bartlett is way more than that. He is the JV volleyball coach, an advisor of a group of “knuckle-heads,” he is always there during formal dinners, Thursday night duties or any basketball games.

Even though he is so busy, he still has time to sit outside of his office, enjoying his vanilla ice cream, greeting all of us with his typical “Bartlett” smile. Also, Mr. Bartlett just knows everyone. Even though you are freshmen, new on this campus, Mr. Bartlett knows something special about you. That’s just the way he is.

So this morning, right after breakfast check-in, I stomped into his office hoping he would be there. Luckily, I could meet him, the superstar, Mr. Bartlett.

KJ: How do you know at least one thing about every student on this campus?
PB: (Laughter) I just try to pay attention. One of the most interesting parts of this job is that I get a really good quality interaction with students and others around me. Also, that is part of my commitment and I want to know everyone well enough that when I need to make a decision about them, I could really help them.

KJ: Did you recently learn any new facts about anyone?
PB: Actually, this morning, when I was walking Linus (Bartlett’s dog), I found several sophomore boys working out in the gym with John, the security guard. I was pretty amazed that these boys actually woke up very early to exercise.

KJ: What is your educational philosophy?
PB: We try to teach you how to face problems in life. Especially in a time period like this when the landscape shifts, it is hard to prepare you. The hardest part is that these days, kids need to rely on themselves; they don’t have much support, so I try to be that support system for you all.
As I was nibbling on my banana and listening to his response, a random question came up on my mind. His bulletin board; for those of you who visit Mr. Bartlett’s office probably have an experience of staring at the bulletin board full of our pictures. (If you have never checked this out, go check it out!)

I don’t know how, but he gets our pictures from somewhere. Maybe on Facebook, maybe from your friends or maybe he took them. No one knows. Anyways, I feel like this wall is a typical Mr. Bartlett thing; no one else can even imitate his genuine love and care for all of us.

KJ: So, why do you have that bulletin board dedicated to all your students?
PB: If kids come in here and see themselves, they feel closer. It is one way to have better connection with the kids. At my old school, there was a great photographer who took amazing pictures of students and I loved looking at those pictures. And after coming to Webb, I just dedicated a part of my wall for that.

(try to find yourself)


KJ: You always bring extra snacks to formal dinner, and when you are on dorm duties you always bring snacks too. Why do you put this extra effort in that most of the people do not?
PB: We just try to be creative around you all. When we bring little treats, it gives the excitement to the dorms or our tables. And this excitement makes it better for everyone and it is much more enjoyable for Colleen and I too.

KJ: Mr. B, what is your motto in life?
After I asked this question, Mr. Bartlett thought for a while. Instead of giving me an answer right away, he pointed at a frame behind his back. It was a Diploma from South Kent School, founded by the Bartlett family. On the diploma it said, “You have been an active, concerned, loyal son of the school, leaving it a better place than you found it.” Mr. Bartlett seems like he is following his motto in life very well because he is making Webb a better place.

This is in his office!


KJ: What is your favorite book?
PB: Hmmm. Plutarch’s Lives is one of the books I read the most and I benefited a lot from it. When I was 18, I used to work in an oil construction company and I got this nasty blood disease. I was contagious, so I was stuck in a Brazilian hospital, surrounded by non-English speakers. So I read this book 5 times and when you read this book, you really learn a lot about the human nature. Also, I enjoy reading writings by Hemingway and John Mcfee.

KJ: Can you share a little bit about your surfing career?
PB: I love everything about surfing. The beach, nice water and the process of surfing; everything is spiritual. I started surfing because my cousin was a surfer and I used to surf with him. Maizie already started learning how to surf!

Another keyword that cannot be separated from Mr. Bartlett is Maizie Bartlett. Her blond hair, green-blue eyes and bright smile resembles her father so much. When you are around Mr. Bartlett and Maizie, a warm smile appears on your face as you are watching this dad-daughter snuggling with each other.

KJ: As a father, what do you want Maizie to be like?
PB: I want her to have courage around her ideas and confidence in who she is. I think I became a better teacher having had her; I learned the patience that I have never known about.

KJ: Mr. B, what was the biggest challenge you ever faced in life?
PB: I think it was when we considered adoption. It was hard for me to watch Colleen facing her own difficulties.

For those of you who don’t know this story well, I would like to quote Mr. Bartlett’s chapel talk he gave a few years ago.

“So we initiated that adventure on which so many other couples before and after us have and will embark – we went about the business of having a child….. For two driven and successful people this is an experience akin to biological purgatory – you begin cycles of hope, doubt, then disappointment, that bring you to the brink of your worst fears, again and again. Desperation becomes a way of life and you start to view your options differently with every blow to your psyche.”

“I want to be gentle, but honest here – I had always been very open to the idea of adopting a child to start our family, but for the first time in my life, I found myself struggling with the idea of perpetuating some of the less desirable practices that are pervasive in the world of adoption. As much as it meant to me to have the chance to raise a child, there was a part of me that was vehemently opposed to contributing to a practice that I’d convinced myself took advantage of people who were often in dire circumstances.”

Many of those who heard Mr. Bartlett’s chapel talk about Maizie recall this as one of the best chapel talks. His genuine story of how he became a parent moved the hearts of many others.

KJ: So, Mr. B, what kind of student were you in high school?
PB: I also went to a boarding school and my grandfather was headmaster there. I had grown up in that environment so I was used to it. I didn’t work so hard, but I really enjoyed my high school years.

KJ: Can you give some advice for all of us on how we could enjoy the high school experience more?
PB: You should approach your academic experience with intention but not the intention you commonly have; I’m not talking about getting all A’s. What I’m talking about is developing a passion about new ideas and keeping that passion through the years here.

As I finished my 30 minute interview with Mr. Bartlett and rushed to my English class, I was truly appreciative for having Mr. Bartlett around us. At Webb, the word “Bartlett” is not just a noun, but it is also used as an adjective that describes genuine, caring, and loving nature. If one says “That’s such a Bartlett thing”, you would understand what that means because for all of us, Mr. Bartlett is more than just an academic dean who consults with us about our courses and grades, he is the guy with a comforting smile on his face ready to greet us and talk to us. Just as his motto is, he makes this place a better place for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment